Project specialist: Waste & Recycling
Prior to joining Expense Reduction Analysts Pete spent 13 years working for major UK waste management companies Cleanaway and Veolia as an operations manager and project manager. In that time he gained exposure to most aspects of the varied waste and recycling industry and built up a network of valuable contacts.
Since joining Expense Reduction Analysts, Pete has conducted reviews of the waste management arrangements of more than 100 organisations from a range of sectors including:
- Group of care homes – Consolidated their waste supplier base from over 40 down to a single core contractor whilst achieving savings of 30%
- Public sector body – Helped them to achieve their objective of zero waste to landfill through service optimisation, design of a new segregation system and supporting the communication and training of all staff.
- Printer – Reviewed disposal costs for waste inks, solvents and developers as well as rebates on aluminium printing plates resulted in cost savings of over 30% and significantly improved service levels through a regular ‘milk round’ collection.
- Multi-site manufacturing group – Conducted a comprehensive review with the objective of helping achieve ISO14001 accreditation and a saving of >50% in the process.
- National value retailer – Reviewed waste costs across 200 locations. Due to rapid business growth, the client was running out of space to handle increasing volumes of waste at their National Distribution Centre. Pete re-engineered their processes for dealing with packaging wastes and introduced new equipment in the DC, regional hubs and stores. This freed up valuable yard and warehouse space and delivered a six figure annual saving.
Identified savings average 34%, though environmental objectives and process improvements are often achieved alongside cost reduction projects.